My first knit project

I've always been interested in craft work, probably because my mom would enroll me in different courses during summers. I never had the time or the resources earlier to pursue this interest until I moved to the US and found I had a lot of weekends and evenings on my hands. So I started to knit. This post is for anyone who has always wanted to knit and did not know how to go about starting it. This is what I did and I hope it helps

  1. Pick your project. Pick an easy or intermediate project
  2. Pick one where the size of the finished project need not be accurate for it to be usable. For instance a sweater or cardigan may not be a good idea, but a blanket or scarf or bib might be.
  3. Pick your project from one of the many available projects online. I picked my project from http://www.michaels.com/. This was a baby blanket and it involved knitting the same pattern over and over again. Click here for instructions.
  4. Pick something that does not involve more than one color. Joining new colored yarn every few lines may not be an interesting thing to do in your first project.
  5. Buy everything you need exactly as mentioned in the instructions for your first project. Later you can experiment with different brands, types of yarn, needles, etc.
  6. Go to www.knittinghelp.com and view the videos to learn the basics of knitting and knit the project with the help of the videos. Don't try to learn everything there is on the website. Learn what is needed for your project you can improvise later
  7. If you have any questions about your project raise them here in the comments or go to answers.yahoo.com and look for similar questions. I did that and that solved quite a few of my basic problems.
  8. FINISH the project.
I started knitting April 2007 and so far have finished 2 projects both for my little nieces. Here's a picture of my second project. Click on the picture for an enlarged image.



Click here to find the instructions

Comments

  1. Very cool! How about using the yarn that's been lying with me and knitting something for Monu? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. Tell me what brand, what kind of yarn and how much you have. Will come up with a plan.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

An art and craft super store in Bangalore

WIPWeeeeeeeeeeeee!

The Brindavan Experience